Tuesday, May 8, 2012

MEXICAN FIESTA NIGHT

Today's Tuesday and that means Mexican Fiesta Night at our home.  We originally had Taco Tuesday night, but my children only like meat tacos (can you blame them?!).  Since meat isn't on the menu every night, we had to adjust.  Mexican Fiesta can be enchiladas, white chicken chili or even tacos.  Most of the time we have build-your-own nachos, burritos, quesadilla, salad or cheese crisp.  I put several ingredients out and everyone makes what they want.  The basics always include beans, cheese, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, tortillas, chips, and salsa.  Some nights we might add avocados, shrimp, corn, chicken, sauteed onions and peppers or taco meat.  I generally make a big batch of salsa each week.  We use it for Mexican Fiesta and the kids love to snack on chips and salsa throughout the week.  If we're having salad, then I like to make up a batch of creamy tomatillo dressing.  It's DELISH!!!!  Finally,  I just started making my own enchilada sauce.  It's so delicious and inexpensive! So let's talk about the logistics: where I shop, what I make and some yummy recipes.

SHOPPING:
Pro's Ranch Market: Tortillas - flour & corn- freshly made tortillas are amazing!
Costco: Cheese - 2 lb. block, Chips - 6 lb. total [(3) -2 lb. bags]
Veggies: Superstition Ranch Market or Sprout's or grocery ads
WalMart: canned tomatoes - the recipe calls for two small cans or one large.  I have found a large can of Del Monte tomatoes (for the same price as the smaller can) for $0.78 here! I've also found Herdez Salsa Verde for a good price here.
Church Cannery: beans and rice in bulk, dehydrated refried beans

WHAT I MAKE:
BEANS: I love to pressure cook beans.  They're so inexpensive!  I have an electric pressure cooker that I found at Costco.  I put 8 cups of water in it, then 1 lb. of beans (no soaking, just make sure to sort your beans first.  You don't want any rocks!) and a couple tsp. of oil.  I then use high pressure for 24 minutes and let the cooker naturally release the pressure.  Within an hour from start to finish, I have cooked beans.  We also make some of our dehydrated refried beans.
RICE:  Some days it's just white or brown rice cooked up.  I have occasionally made other recipes before like cilantro-lime rice and Mexican rice.  If I just have plain rice, everyone can choose what to add to their rice.  I prefer to add a little cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper and maybe a tiny bit of chipotle to mine.

LET'S COOK:
BASIC SALSA
this recipe was given to a friend who adapted it, then I adapted it again! (originally from Bronwyn Brown, given to me by Cynthia Baxter)
1 Large Can of Tomatoes (or two smaller cans)
4 oz. Canned Green Chiles (we like more and I use a 7oz. can when I have it)
4-6 green onions (your preference)
Cilantro (a good handful, coarsely chopped)
Sugar (approx. 1 tsp.)
Garlic (one clove, minced)
Jalapeno Tabasco (a few shakes - optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
 In a blender, place half the tomatoes, green chiles, 1/2 the chopped green onions, all the cilantro, sugar and garlic.  Blend until the cilantro is finely chopped.  Then add the rest of the tomatoes, green onions, Tabasco, and salt & pepper and pulse a few times.  Dip a chip and taste.  Adjust seasonings as needed.

CREAMY TOMATILLO DRESSING
(After researching many recipes, this was what I put together)
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix (I have a large container of the mix and use 3 Tbsp.)
1 c. Mayo (I buy the Costco Brand Mayo)
1 c. cilantro (big handful), roughly chopped
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 Herdez Salsa Verde (you could use your favorite salsa verde...this one is mine!)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (I use a little more than 1/8 tsp. for my batch)
Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.  So yummy!

SHRIMP TACOS - one of my favorites!!!!!
(Recipe from Rookie Cookie - the link to this recipe wasn't there anymore, so here's the recipe)
1 lb. medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails off 
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lime
I prepare the shrimp and place in a bowl.  Then I add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, pepper and salt and mix with the shrimp.  Place the shrimp (covered in plastic wrap or lid) in the refrigerator for 30 min. to 1 hr.  When the shrimp are ready, add olive oil to a skillet over med-high heat.  When the pan is warm, add the shrimp and cook 5 -8 minutes until done.  Remove from heat and squeeze lime juice over the shrimp and toss.  (I make shrimp soft tacos with these - tortilla, shrimp, avocado, lettuce/cabbage and a little salsa verde...SO GOOD!)  I've even used tilapia instead of shrimp in this recipe.

MEXICAN RICE
(adapted from the Food Nanny)
2 t. canola oil
1 small onion, finely diced (adjust the onion to your family's liking)
1 c. long-grain white rice, uncooked
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp. chili powder (or more, to your taste)
1-2 c. corn.  (I used frozen corn from Trader Joe's)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. water
In a pot, add the oil & onion and cook until soft.  Then add in your rice, stir and cook for 1 minute.  Next add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low and COVER your pot.  Simmer the rice for 25 minutes KEEPING THE POT COVERED THE WHOLE TIME.  (my husband use to always lift the lid when I was cooking rice, it was so frustrating!  He's finally learned thank goodness)  My whole family loved this recipe.

ENCHILADA SAUCE
(after searching all over the internet, I was satisfied with these ingredients.  I'm still tweaking this recipe)
2 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. flour (or more)
2 c. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. chili powder (to taste)
In a large skillet over med-high heat, place your oil and flour.  Whisk until browned. Add your chicken broth and whisk in your chili powder.  Stir and then simmer to thicken. 

WHITE CHILI RECIPE
(From my friend, Lindy Manwaring)
4 c. cooked white beans (or 2 cans, rinsed & drained)
1 small can chopped green chiles
1/4 c. butter (you can use margarine, I choose butter)
1 large onion, chopped
1/3 c. flour
4 c. chicken broth
3 c. half & half (I almost always use whatever milk I have on hand.  I was cutting the recipe in half once and forgot, after I put the full amount of chicken broth in I didn't know what to do.  I ended up putting powdered milk in so I wouldn't add any more liquid.  It worked!)
4 c. cooked, shredded chicken
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (this is optional)
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt (I ALWAYS TASTE IT FIRST - it may not need the salt)
1/2 tsp. white pepper

1 1/2 c. grated monterey jack cheese (again, I use what I have)

1 c. sour cream
Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.  If I've halved the recipe, I can fit it in my large skillet.  Add onions and saute until tender, about 15 minutes.  Add flour and stir 5 minutes - do not brown.  Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half & half.  Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Add reserved white beans, chiles, shredded chicken and spices.  Simmer gently to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.  Add grated cheese and sour cream.  Heat until warmed through and cheese melts.  Do not boil.  Serve any way you like, and top with cilantro or salsa verde if you wish.

I'm so glad it's Mexican Fiesta Night!  Hope you enjoy the recipes.  I'm off to make my creamy tomatillo dressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment