Sunday, September 30, 2012

31 DAYS OF STRETCHING YOUR GROCERY DOLLAR

I feed my family of five on $60 a week.  I've learned how to stretch my grocery dollar further than I ever thought was possible and I would love to share how I make this work.  Over the next 31 days, I'll tell you where I shop, what I buy, share my menu plans and recipes.  I thought I would start Day 1 with a recipe, my Basic Veggie Soup.
Thank you, Nester for hosting this 31 day series!

(everyday will be added as it's posted)
Day 2: Having a Plan
Day 3: Pasta Night 
Day 4: Mexican Night & Recipe
Day 5: Making your own Stock (the easy-peasy way)
Day 6: Crock Pot/Hot Dish Night & Recipes
Day 7: Tradition or Doughnuts, a Love Story 
Day 8: Soup, Salad or Sandwiches
Day 9: Pizza 
Day 10: Grill/Wok
Day 11: Family Favorites
Day 12: Real Food + Effort = Savings
Day 13: Recipe Resources 
Day 14: My Secret Ingredient
Day 15: Planning Your Menu
Day 16: Where I Shop 
Day 17:What I Didn't Realize About Cooking 
Day 18: Pork Carnitas
Day 19: Pantry Organization 
Day 20: Leftovers 
Day 21: Homemade Take-Out Noodles
Day 22: Cinnamon Crunch Popcorn
Day 23: Lemony Asparagus
Day 24: Sour Cream Syrup 
Day 25: Roasted Veggies 
Day 26: Potluck Dinners
Day 27: Pumpkin Bars
Day 28: Sweet Potato Gratin 
Day 29: Chocolate Pecan Pie 
Day 30: Pasta Salad 
Day 31: A Budget Friendly Day!
I DID IT!  All 31 days!!!!!  Thanks for joining me!

BASIC VEGGIE SOUP
The best part about this recipe is you adapt it to what you have/want in your soup.  Feel free to adjust all the veggies to what you enjoy.  For example: Mita (my grandma) didn't make her soup without a leek, I rarely add leek because of the cost.  If you're wanting a more hearty soup, just add some chicken or white beans to the soup.
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
Seasonings: today I chose rosemary, thyme, poultry seasoning, pepper (feel free to use any seasonings you prefer)
6-8 potatoes, peeled and diced
8 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 yellow squash, diced, sliced or julienned (I did a julienne cut)
2 zucchini, diced, sliced or julienned
 I start by heating the pot over medium heat, then adding the EVOO and chopped onion.  Once the onion is softened, add the garlic and stir for a minute.  Next add the chicken broth, water, diced potatoes and sliced carrots and turn the heat up to med.high or high heat.


  Bring the soup to a boil, until the potatoes can be easily mashed with a fork.  Turn down the heat to medium and use a potato masher in the soup.  Breaking the potatoes up releases more starch and will thicken the soup.  You don't need everything broken up, just go around the pot a few times. Now it's time to add the squash.  I usually slice them, but wanted to try something new by using the mandolin to julienne them.  You can turn the heat down to low at this point.  You just want the squash to gently cook and let all the flavors come together.
 YUM!!!!
*FYI*
I buy HACO chicken soup base.  My last container was $22.50 and it makes 16 gallons.  That's roughly $1.40/gal. or .35/quart.  It's a large initial cost, but pays off!!! (I just saw the price is now $25.00 which would change the cost to roughly $1.56/gal. or .39/quart)
I purchase my vegetables either at the local grocery store on sale, on sale at Sprout's or the Superstition Ranch Market.  Check out your local farmers garden, grocery ads, or co-op for your best deal.
This was my latest shopping trip to Superstition Ranch Market.
Eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, broccoli, radishes, pears, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, apples, cauliflower, red cabbage and brussel sprouts.  
All for a grand total of $13.81

2 comments:

  1. It's AWESOME that you feed your family on that. I love it when I find another woman who loves to stretch their dollar like I do. LOL. A woman after my own heart. I look forwards in seeing all the different ways you make it work for your family. And maybe we can swap ideas with one another. I am also doing a series but mine is on raising a large family and being home with them. Come by and say hi if you want. I need to all this blogging stuff, I just recently made my blog open. I'm at http://serasnapshot.blogspot.com/2012/10/31-days-of-sarah-chronicles-raising.html'

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, where do you live? I need to shop there. I love this series.

    ReplyDelete