Thursday, October 4, 2012

DAY 5 - MAKING YOUR OWN STOCK (the easy-peasy way)

First, if I can make chicken stock - ANYONE CAN!  This was my first attempt and I'm so proud of myself, I had to share!  Let's start at the "why" first.
 It all started with whole chickens on sale at Fresh & Easy last week for $0.64/lb.  I purchased two chickens (3lb & 3.5lb) for just over $4 total.  I decided to roast them together the other night for dinner.  (DELICIOUS, by the way)  My family devoured one whole chicken and a small portion of the second chicken.  My husband then took the meat off the second chicken for another meal and the carcasses went directly into the crock pot.  I added some carrots, two very small onions (didn't even peel them) and one red bell pepper cut into quarters.  Then I filled it with water from the tap, set it to low.  Just let it cook on low all night and you wake up with chicken stock.  THAT'S IT!!!! (I told you it was easy-peasy!)
 Just look at it!  It smells heavenly and looks divine.  Tonight I'm making potato soup and I can't wait to try it with my new stock.  I love the value too.  Two chickens for $4 = two meals and 3 quarts of chicken stock.  You can't beat that!
ROASTED WHOLE CHICKEN
1 whole chicken around 3 lbs. (If roasting two at a time, just double the ingredients below)
2 T. butter
2 T. oil (I used olive oil)
2 t. paprika
1 t. salt
1 t. onion powder
1 t. thyme
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne
1/4 t. pepper
1 onion (opt)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Rinse your chicken off and pat dry with paper towels.  You may cut up the onion and place in a shallow roasting dish to support your chicken.  (or you can omit and use a rack)  Mix the paprika, salt, onion powder, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.  Next melt your butter and then mix with the oil.  Rub this all over your chicken.  Then sprinkle the rub on the bird.  Place in the 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue to cook for 30-40 minutes.  If the chicken is getting too dark, tent with foil.  (Make sure internal temp is 165 degrees) Make sure to follow the directions above to make your own chicken stock.
Tomorrow - Soup, Salad, Sandwiches (in any combination)
Plus - a delicious Potato Soup recipe!

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to make homemade chicken stock, although I've been meaning to for quite some time. You may be just the inspiration I need!

    ReplyDelete