Sunday, October 28, 2012

DAY 28 - SWEET POTATO GRATIN

Chocolate Pecan Pie
(and yes, I'm fully aware this photo has nothing to do with this recipe, except for the fact that they both shared the Thanksgiving table.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the Sweet Potato Gratin)
This recipe is so delicious!  I came across it in 2010 and made it for our Thanksgiving dinner and I was blown away by how good it was.  I'm used to a sweet recipe for my sweet potatoes, I really didn't think sweet potatoes and cheddar cheese would be good together.  Boy, was I wrong!  
SWEET POTATO GRATIN
(recipe from REAL SIMPLE)
5 T. butter
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. whole milk (I used whatever I had on hand)
1 T fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 t. kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 1/2 c.)
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz)
1/2 c. bread crumbs
Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.  In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion; cook until softened, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in the flour, then whisk in the milk, rosemary, salt, and a few grinds of pepper.  Heat to boiling, whisking constantly.  Stir in the sweet potatoes.  Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so no fair posting a chocolate pecan pie with no recipe! Thanks for the sweet potato one! Grady loves sweet potatoes so I will have to try it sometime. The fact that you didn't know if it would be good at first either will give me the courage to try!

    ReplyDelete