Monday, October 8, 2012

DAY 7 - TRADITION or DOUGHNUTS, A LOVE STORY

Twice a year (after General Conference) we would gather as a family and make homemade doughnuts.  OK, my Mita and her friend would make them, we kids would just eat them.  It was one of our favorite family traditions, doughnuts and apple cider.  I think our oldest was only a few years old when the tradition died out.  Over the years my cousins and I have wanted it back.  This year we made it happen!  (we just forgot about the apple cider, we'll remember in April!)  I found Mita's recipe and made two batches.  Then my cousins rolled out the dough and cut them with Mita's doughnut cutter.
 
I fried them and then they covered them in either cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or pumpkin pie spice sugar.
 SUCCESS!!!
The kids really loved them and I am already looking forward to our next doughnut day the first Sunday in April.
 I loved seeing Dean grab doughnut after doughnut.  Don't you love the powdered sugar shirt!
 Christina enjoying her doughnut with her Barbie gloves!
 Here's the recipe.
DOUGHNUTS
2 pkg. yeast in 1/4 c. warm water
1 c. mashed potatoes
2 c. milk, warmed
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening (I used oil)
Mix all then add:
3 eggs - whisk them in
about 8 c. flour
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 - 1 tsp. nutmeg
It will be a stiff dough, work until smooth and not sticky.  Let raise to double and punch down.  Let rise again, then roll out and cut. Then fill a skillet with 1 inch of oil.  I would love to tell you how hot your oil needs to be, but I didn't use a thermometer.  I've read anywhere from 325 to 360 degrees.  Once in the oil, they will rise to the top and brown within 60-90 seconds.  Then flip (carefully) and cook the second side for 30-60 seconds.  They really do cook quickly.  We transferred them to a cooling rack for a minute or two and then covered in either cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar or pumpkin pie spice sugar.  To cover in sugar, we took a lunch sack and put about 1 c. of sugar in the bag.  Then put your warm doughnuts in, close the bag and shake.  (sorry, I'm not sure how many doughnuts each batch made.  They were being eaten as fast as we made them.  I'll try to pay attention next time)

No comments:

Post a Comment