Tuesday, October 2, 2012

DAY 2 - HAVING A PLAN

(Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza....YUM!!!)
When you are stretching your grocery dollar, you have to cook.  There is no way around this....trust me!  Half the battle of making dinner every night is having a plan.  My Mita (grandmother) used to have spaghetti once a week, I believe on Mondays.  She always knew what she would be preparing that night.  I loved the idea, but decided to broaden it to Pasta Night.  I wanted some flexibility.  I had other nights that received themes too.  Tuesday was Taco Tuesday, but changed to Mexican Fiesta for more flexibility and Friday was Homemade Pizza Night.  Then one day I found a show that really inspired me, The Food Nanny.  She has a passion for rescuing dinner time and her plan uses theme nights every night.  I decided to fill in the blanks and give every night a theme night.  Now, that doesn't mean I can't make pasta on a Thursday or pizza on Sunday, but it does help my planning.  Here are my theme nights:

Monday - Pasta Night
Tuesday - Mexican Fiesta
Wednesday - Crock Pot or Hot Dish* 
(*I can't call it a casserole, for some reason my boys can't stand that name....hence, the Hot Dish)
Thursday - Soup, Salad, Sandwich 
 (or any combination)
Friday - Homemade Pizza Night 
 (if we're busy, this night generally gets pushed to Sunday)
Saturday - Grill or Wok
Sunday - Family Favorites  

I'm loving all the visitors and comments!  It's fun to see your blogs too.  Tomorrow, we'll go into more detail with our theme nights, see you then!
Remember, you can check out the other 31 dayers here or start at the beginning of my  

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, and yes, cooking and a plan will save you $$. I like this schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea of having theme nights! Planning is truly key to cooking and I'm still working on it. :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete