Thursday, October 25, 2012

DAY 25 - ROASTED VEGGIES

I'm so glad the weather is cooling off. (mid to high 80's for us in the Valley of the Sun)  The cooler weather makes it more manageable to use my oven.  My favorite (and easiest) way to cook most veggies is roasting them.  That's exactly what I did on Monday.  I cut up an orange cauliflower (yes, I said orange), a zucchini, two tomatoes, and two onions.  Then I tossed them with a little olive oil and spread them onto a jelly roll pan.  Sprinkle with some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and pop it into a 425 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.  I generally turn the pan in the middle of the roasting time.  You can't really see from this photo, but I served the roasted veggies over some pasta and sauce and then sprinkled it with parmesan cheese.  So filling and delicious!
 Another favorite of my family is roasted potatoes.  Here I quartered red potatoes and roasted them in a 450 degree oven for 25-40 minutes.  (depending on the size of the potatoes)  Most nights I'm in a hurry.  I will dice my potatoes, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then put them in the oven set to broil.  I check on them after 10 minutes, turn the pan and then cook another 10-15 minutes - until they are very tender when pierced with a fork.
Then there's butternut squash, cut in half (length-wise), remove seeds, spray the cookie sheet with oil, place the halves face down and roast at 350 degrees for 45 min. - 1 hour.  Again, you want it to be fork tender.  You can use the squash as a side dish or to make some delicious soup.  Now get roasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment