Saturday, October 13, 2012

DAY 13 - RECIPE RESOURCES

(my cabbage salad, little bit of cottage cheese and two slices of oat bran bread - YUM)
It's not hard to find recipes today.  You can search the internet for a specific recipe and many options are at your fingertips.  You can also type in a specific food.  For example, I had some red cabbage in my fridge and didn't know what I was going to make.  I searched red cabbage recipes and found many different recipes.  Then I let my preference (and ingredients on hand) that day dictate what recipe I would try - the Tassajara Warm Red Cabbage Salad(it was delicious by the way)  What if you're new to cooking, where do you begin?  I'll tell you how I evolved in my cooking skills.  I didn't know how to cook when I was first married.  One of the first recipes I felt confident with was BBQ Chicken Drumsticks - Drumsticks in a casserole dish, pour BBQ sauce on them, bake.  Even that simple recipe was stressful in the beginning.  I don't think I would have dared trying a recipe out of a magazine back then.  Forward a couple of years later, I would meet the women at church monthly for dinner and mini classes.  The best part was they handed out the recipes for the meal we ate.  It was just the boost my cooking needed.  I knew I liked the food and what it should look like, I felt confident I could be successful....and I was!  Soon I was venturing out to "unknown" recipes, taking chances.  This led to sharing more recipes with friends and family, attending cooking classes, going to a cooking club, watching Food Network and reading cookbooks. 
(I still can't believe I made this!  Rosemary Potato Pizza - DELICIOUS!)
 My favorite resources for recipes:
Family & Friends!
Church Cookbooks - any church.  They are the best cookbooks and I have a handful of them.  If your church doesn't have one, ask your friends or go to a used bookstore - they have lots of them.
Cooking Magazines - lots to choose from.  Pick one that interests you or visit their website.
Cooking Shows - they're everywhere.  Network TV, PBS, Food Network, etc. 
Food Blogs and Pinterest
Borrow Cookbooks at the Library - great resource!
Have fun and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment