Monday, October 29, 2012

DAY 29 - CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

OK, so it wasn't fair to show you this picture and not give you the recipe.  It's not budget friendly for your average night, but it is a must for us at Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.  I didn't make it once....ONCE for one of those holidays and my extended family let me know it!  I won't make that mistake again.  On Thanksgiving, everyone eats with their own families, but that evening they all come to my home and we all share desserts.  This get together is so fun and easy!  The kids run around and the adults talk and talk. (of course we eat plenty of desserts too)  For Christmas Eve, all the extended family comes over and everyone contributes to the meal and desserts.  (I generally make a soup, broccoli salad and chocolate pecan pies)  Last year we had 60 people over and the kids outnumbered the adults!  Occasionally we even have a little bit of this pie left.  (Just in case you were wondering, it makes a fantastic Christmas morning snack!)
CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
(Recipe from Susie Rogers)
3 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. chopped pecans
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T. melted butter
1 t. vanilla
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, beat eggs well.  Add corn syrup, nuts, chips, sugar, butter and vanilla.  Mix very well.  Pour evenly into crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.  Cool completely.  Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.  Can be wrapped well and frozen for later use.
***Even though I make two pies, I never double the filling recipe in the same bowl.  I make my first pie filling and put it in the pie crust, then use the same bowl (no need to clean it) and make the filling for the second pie.  I've made my own crust at times, but when you can buy 8 rolled pie crusts for under $7 at Costco - it's hard not to go that route.  One last note: this pie is good right away, but I think it's even better the next day!

4 comments:

  1. Thank-you! Gonna have to try this one! Why don't you double the filling in one bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't double it because I want to make sure each pie is equal...especially with the chocolate chips. I'm sure it's fine to double.

      Delete