Thursday, June 21, 2012

TASSAJARA WARM RED CABBAGE SALAD

Lunchtime!  Normally I scrounge in the fridge for some leftovers, but since I used those for dinner (it's summer!) I didn't have anything.  I still needed to grab something to eat and didn't have much on hand (payday's tomorrow....then I can restock the fridge)  I did notice an almost full head of red cabbage in the crisper drawer and starting searching for a recipe.  I decided to try the Tassajara Warm Red Cabbage Salad.
(my cabbage salad, little bit of cottage cheese and two slices of oat bran bread - YUM)
Not bad for an impromptu lunch!  I really did like the salad.  I think I would add a little more rosemary next time.  The orginal recipe is in this cookbook, The Complete Tassajara Cookbook. (Tassajara is a Zen Center in San Francisco, CA)   I found it adjusted at 101cookbooks(dot)com.  Here's what I did:
TASSAJARA WARM RED CABBAGE SALAD
1/2 c. sunflower seeds (you could sub out a nut instead)
2 tsp. brown sugar
(pinch or two of salt, if your seeds aren't salted)
2 Tbsp. veg. oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tsp. dried rosemary (I would use a little more, or fresh if you have it)
1/4 c. dried blueberries (you could use any dried fruit)
1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4-1/2 c. feta cheese
Place the sunflower seeds in a hot dry pan, then sprinkle with the brown sugar (and salt if needed) and stir until the sugar melts and coats the seeds.  Then remove from pan and let dry on a plate.  Next, in a skillet, heat the pan, then add the oil and onion.  Cook a few minutes until soft.  Add your minced garlic, stir and then add the red cabbage.  Toss again and add the rosemary, blueberries and balsamic vinegar.  Toss and cook until the cabbage is as soft as you would like it.  I think I cooked mine for 7-9 minutes at this point.  Remove from heat and toss in the sunflower seeds and feta.  Give a quick stir and adjust seasonings if needed.

I'm so thankful that I found such a great recipe for my red cabbage and that it didn't take too long to make.  I love the saying: Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without!  Today was definitely "Use It Up!"  I had a great lunch and my crisper drawer is almost empty - Win-Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment