Tuesday, September 25, 2012

LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP

File:Lemon.jpg
( André Karwath via Wikimedia Commons)
I love soup!  It's delicious, comforting and generally inexpensive.  I make it often throughout the year, even in the summer.  I think my veggie soup is made the most.  One of my sons complains every time I make the veggie soup, he loves, loves, loves chicken noodle. He loved the canned soup, but I don't buy that anymore.  I've tried different recipes to make it for him, but he's always had a complaint or two.  One day I tried this recipe because it sounded good to me.  I wasn't sure anyone else would like it.  With lemon in it, I didn't even consider this would be a chicken noodle soup to appease my son.  Turns out - HE LOVES IT!  I think you will too.
LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP
8 c. chicken broth
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (I put it in straight from the freezer)
3-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 stalks of celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
freshly ground pepper
1 c. orzo pasta (I've even substituted cooked rice, just make sure it's fluffy rice before putting it in the soup)
1 whole lemon, juiced
Place all the ingredients except the lemon juice in a stock pot.  Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes (or until the veggies are tender and the chicken is cooked)  Remove the chicken breast and cut into strips or diced.  Then return to the pot, add the lemon juice and stir well to mix.  (taste and add salt if needed)
DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment