Wednesday, September 19, 2012

CHOCOLATE MILK & SYRUP

What makes these boys happy?
CHOCOLATE MILK!!!
We used to always have a huge container of Nesquik in the pantry.  I didn't think Kyler could ever live without it!  With such a low grocery budget, I couldn't justify keeping it on hand.  Occasionally, I would buy some Hershey's chocolate syrup for chocolate milk or making shakes. The only problem: it was gone so quick.  I've seen many copy-cat recipes for "Nesquik" and "Hershey's chocolate syrup" on Pinterest and I finally tried them today.  I'm so glad I did!  Chocolate milk is back, baby!!! (In my best George Costanza!)  The funny thing is they are exactly the same recipe- 1 part cocoa powder & 2 parts sugar.  The syrup just adds water and vanilla to the recipe. 

CHOCOLATE MILK MIX
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients and store in a sealed container.  It doesn't make a lot, but it's easy to double or even triple the recipe.  It only uses 2 T. for 12-16 oz. of milk.  NOTE: to make it mix easier, add mix to your cup, then add a tiny bit of warm/hot water from the tap, mix well and then pour your cold water in the glass. 
(I like this mix since it can be on the pantry shelf, but I think the chocolate syrup is easier to use.)

 CHOCOLATE SYRUP
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 c. water
1 t. vanilla
Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a saucepan.  Add the water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Once boiling, reduce heat and cook 1 minute.  Take off heat and stir in the vanilla.  Let cool and then refrigerate.  We used 2-3 spoonfuls of syrup in a glass of milk. So much flavor for so little syrup and SO DELICIOUS!!!
(I love how easy it mixes in the milk, but I think I would need the powder mix if we were traveling or camping.)

Now I'm off to dream of Willy Wonka's chocolate river!

1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe. Unfortunately, I'm cooking bad :(.
    But my friend recommended me a site funny cooking book
    I always check out this website before making food.
    Sorry for my English. It's my third language.
    http://www.funnycookingbook.com

    ReplyDelete