Sunday, April 22, 2012

FIRST MONEY STRETCHER....SOUP!


My family blog started with my Mita (my maternal grandma), so I think it's fitting that I start my first tip with her.  Despite loathing to cook, (which I still can't believe she disliked it so much!) she cooked everyday.  She made many wonderful meals, but we're going to start with her vegetable soup.  Soup can be as expensive or inexpensive as you like, we like it CHEAP!  Cleaning-out-your-crisper-drawer cheap, which was a perfect excuse for Mita to make it.  Do you have a few veggies that aren't as crisp as you would like....don't throw them out, they are perfect for soup.  Of course, you don't need to be cleaning out the fridge to make this.  I make a huge pot of soup that lasts for dinner and many lunches for my husband and me.

BASIC VEGGIE SOUP
The best part about this recipe is you adapt it to what you have/want in your soup.  Feel free to adjust all the veggies to what you enjoy.  For example: Mita didn't make her soup without a leek, I rarely add leek because of the cost.  If you're wanting a more hearty soup, just add some chicken or white beans to the soup.
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp EVOO
4 c. chicken broth
2 c. water
Seasonings: today I chose rosemary, thyme, poultry seasoning, pepper (feel free to use any seasonings you prefer)
6-8 potatoes, peeled and diced
8 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 yellow squash, diced, sliced or julienned (I did a julienne cut)
2 zucchini, diced, sliced or julienned
 I start by heating the pot over medium heat, then adding the EVOO and chopped onion.  Once the onion is softened, add the garlic and stir for a minute.  Next add the chicken broth, water, diced potatoes and sliced carrots and turn the heat up to med.high or high heat.


  Bring the soup to a boil, until the potatoes can be easily mashed with a fork.  Turn down the heat to medium and use a potato masher in the soup.  Breaking the potatoes up releases more starch and will thicken the soup.  You don't need everything broken up, just go around the pot a few times. Now it's time to add the squash.  I usually slice them, but wanted to try something new by using the mandolin to julienne them.  You can turn the heat down to low at this point.  You just want the squash to gently cook and let all the flavors come together.

 YUM!!!!

*FYI*
I buy HACO chicken soup base.  My last container was $22.50 and it makes 16 gallons.  That's roughly $1.40/gal. or .35/quart.  It's a large initial cost, but pays off!!! (I just saw the price is now $25.00 which would change the cost to roughly $1.56/gal. or .39/quart)
I purchase my vegetables either at the local grocery store on sale, on sale at Sprout's or the Superstition Ranch Market.  Check out your local farmers garden, grocery ads, or co-op for your best deal.
This was my latest shopping trip to Superstition Ranch Market.
Eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, watermelon, broccoli, radishes, pears, cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, apples, cauliflower, red cabbage and brussel sprouts.  
All for a grand total of $13.81

No comments:

Post a Comment