Thursday, November 8, 2012

STUFFED PEPPERS

This is the first time that I've ever made this recipe.  I searched tons of recipes and decided to go with fully cooking my filling and then stuffing my peppers.  It was a really easy meal to make and it got rave reviews!  The truth is, I've always wanted to make Stuffed Peppers and finding 10 yellow bell peppers/$1 was just the push I needed to act. (I found them at Superstition Ranch Market)
Don't they look yummy!
I really love yellow peppers.
 
I couldn't believe that my boys were so excited about them.  Asher even asked if he could eat the pepper and was surprised that he could eat the "bowl" it was cooked in.  In fact, my boys loved it so much that they even had seconds.  (boys=my teenagers, my 8 year old was not impressed, but he did eat one bite) 
 Ready to eat!
STUFFED PEPPERS
(You can make this recipe southwestern with black beans and corn.  Have fun and get creative!  This was similar to Texas Hash, that's probably why my boys loved it so much!)
4-6 bell peppers (any color - my dish fit 7....OK, I squeezed 7 in there!)
1 T. oil 
1 med. onion, diced
1 lb. ground beef (you can use ground turkey or chicken, or make it vegetarian with beans)
salt/pepper to taste
I also used Italian seasoning and chili powder
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c. cooked rice (I used white,you could use brown or couscous, quinoa, or any other grain)
1 c. shredded cheese (any kind - I used up the last of my pepper jack and some mild cheddar)
First, I did choose to boil my peppers for 3-4 minutes before stuffing them.  Just boil a pot of water and prep the peppers by cutting the tops off and pulling the seeds and membranes out of the center.  Then put them in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes.  After pulling them out, I set them upside down to drain.  For the filling, I cooked up some rice then use a skillet to start cooking the diced onions in the oil.  After a few minutes, I added the ground beef and cook until all the pink is gone.  Season the meat and then add the tomatoes and cooked rice.  Stir until blended.  Place the peppers in your dish and stuff.  Top with cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment